Book Review: Infinity
By: Jus Accardo

There are three things Kori knows for sure about her life:
One: Her army general dad is insanely overprotective.
Two: The guy he sent to watch her, Cade, is way too good-looking.
Three: Everything she knew was a lie.
Now there are three things Kori never knew about her life:
One: There's a device that allows her to jump dimensions.
Two: Cade's got a lethal secret.
Three: Someone wants her dead.


____________________________________________________________________

Pages: 320 pages
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre(s): Sci-fi, romance, action, adventure, young adult.

____________________________________________________________________


I knew going into this book that it was either going to be a big hit or miss for me. Luckily it ended up being a very big hit, I absolutely loved it! I'm not a huge science fiction fan and I don't read that many books that are purely sci-fi, generally books that are mixed with other genres. I've been trying to broaden my reading horizons though and I'm sure glad that I did or otherwise I would've missed out on this great book!

The plot of this book really reminded of a young adult version of the tv show Fringe. Of course I mean this in a totally positive way since I thought Fringe was amazing too. I really got the same kind of vibe though, so if you loved the tv show then I definitely have to recommend that you read this. The pacing was a quick build up that held tension throughout the book so you could really feel the time crunch they were under. Everything flowed well, although I do wish there had kind of been more of a mystery that had to be solved. Since the boys have been through this multiple times it kind of took some of the intrigue out of the plot. The only thing I wish is that we had been left in the dark about this story being about dimension travel. I feel like it would've had more of an impact if we didn't know until we read about it. But since I was expecting it, again it took some of the mystery out of the storyline.

I loved the way different/multiple realities or dimensions were talked about within the book. It was really easy to understand, and the different possibilities in different dimensions as well as the commonalities really intrigued me and I'm looking forward to seeing them explored more in the sequel. It had enough science to make sense, but not so much that it got bogged down or confusing. I thought it was very funny how the whole time paradox of meeting yourself was turned on its head. Cause every other book or tv series makes such a big deal about meeting yourself and it was a refreshing change to see that it would make no difference.

Kori was a very interesting character. I became very attached to her from the start, and I loved her kickass attitude as well as her common sense personality. She has passion and drive, but she cannot say that her military upbringing doesn't affect that way she thinks. It actually plays quite a major role in her personality. It is responsible for her rebellious streak, the way she analyzes and makes plans, how she takes their values to heart like leave no man behind, as well as her perseverance. It seems totally at odds with her passionate artistic side but I think that juxtaposition is what makes her such and interesting character. If I had to say something I disliked about her it would be her emotional walls. I never got the feeling from her of pure emotion or letting her walls down, even when she was with Cade or thinking about her mother. I'm hoping we will see more of a difference in the next book.

Cade for me was kind of a low key character. You paid attention when he was there but when he wasn't the centre of attention, you didn't quite forget he was there but he kind of blended into the background. He started to stand out more as the story continued on and his and Kori's relationship started to cement. The only thing that kind of bothered me about him was how much he lets his past and past guilt control his present.

Noah was a character that definitely grew on me. I hated him at first, I thought he was super rude, apathetic and quite the self serving jerk. But as with the other characters in the book once you learn more about his backstory, you can start to learn why he acts the way he does. The scene where the fake key fails and is killing her and the only voice she hears is Noah's and he ends up saving her just warmed my heart so much! And seeing their squabbles and and how alike they are just made me constantly smile.

Dylan actually turned out to be quite the sad character. As you read along within the story, you don't really start to question who the evil guy is but you definitely start to understand his motivations more just as Kori did. But as Kori thought it really doesn't excuse the way he's going about it. Killing people for revenge, and to hurt others? Nope, not the right thing to do.

I really loved how all of the characters are interconnected one way or another. Everything was connected like 12 degrees of separation. I totally didn't see it coming when we found out that Noah was Kori's brother and that Dylan and Cade were brothers as well. Everything seems to be centered around the four kids as well as Kori's parents. I can't wait for Kori to explore other dimensions and see how she reacts in a dimension that is not her own and seeing people she knows leading different lives or having different personalities. I would like Kori to see a softer version of herself just to show how she could be.

The way romance was tied into the story overall was brilliantly done and I love the different themes of love within it. There is the constant love of Kori's parents which spans across multiple dimensions and into infinity. Then we can see the repercussions when that love was cut short. We get to see the love of family, father to daughter, brother to brother, and brother to sister. That even when family members do horrible things we can still love them even though we don't agree with the way they go about it. The romance between Cade and Kori was interesting to say the least. His was immediate since he technically was already in love with "his" Kori. Kori was intrigued by him, but it was more of a slow burn. Once she admitted she liked him, she faced the reality of the situation and refused to let it go further in order to not get herself hurt. Not that that helped anything, the attraction was too strong. I will say that that did irritate me about Kori a bit. I understand at first believing that he is still in love with his version of Kori and not her, but she just pushed it to another level. At one point he full out tells her it is her that he has feelings for as well as still having feelings for "his" Kori but she just doesn't believe him and shuts him down. How many times is he going to have to say it before she believes him? It was also really fun to see Cade get used to this version of Kori and slowly falling in love with her while still loving "his" version. I can't wait to see how their relationship progresses from here on out!

I really thought the government would be playing more of a role in the book and I was surprised when I found out that isn't so. If a secret government project that was supposed to be a dud just started working and strangers came through I thought the government would've kept them under tight restrictions and not allow them to go roaming all over the place. I'm wondering if it will have more of an impact in the next book.

I was also kind of surprised where the story ended and how it ended to be honest. I knew Kori was going to use the key to save her father. I didn't know that Dylan was going to give her the super fast solution to her. The way I thought it was going to end was that Dylan would kill her by skipping and that miraculously she would be ok on the other side. I don't really get the whole point of Dylan planting that bomb though. It seemed like a last minute thing just plopped into the story and didn't even really become an issue. Dylan had plenty of leverage already, he didn't really need more.

Something that immensely disappointed me were the spelling errors in the book. Seeing them in books are a big pet peeve of mine and there were multiple here. I do realize you can't get every single one, but it is in part why I dropped my rating a bit.

This book was addicting, face paced, swoony to the max and pushed the idea that there is no black and white and only a grey scale to the max. You will fall in love with all the characters and won't be able to read the book fast enough to figure out what is going to happen next. All of that only served to make me fall in love with the series more. I quite literally couldn't put the book down and pretty much read it in one sitting. I can't recommend this book enough to science fiction lovers or people looking to make their way into the science fiction genre. It has just enough without making it super overwhelming.

Omega which is the second book in the series is up on all popular retailers, as well as on Goodreads. It came out August 1, 2017 so check it out! I'm really interested to see what happens in Omega after reading the blurb for it because it focuses more on Noah, but I'm sure we will still see Kori and Cade along the way. Is Ashlyn the white Rabbit that Cade mentioned? I'm eager to find out!




No comments